Friday, April 15, 2011

Business Models For Online Games 04/15/11

Business Models For Online Games

When I graduated from high school I wasn’t sure exactly what my college career should be. I loved art, animation, psychology, engineering, math and landscaping. It took a little while for me to establish my direction.

I took my SATs and ACTs, and applied to the University of Cincinnati for Digital Design and Computer Science. I chose Computer Science with the impression that I could learn digital design on the side and learn to create code at school. I was thinking big—I wanted to create computer mini-games utilizing both skills. During my first two semesters I created a simple C++ game based on the swatting a fly with a flyswatter concept (it was code that was in a tutuorial which I created graphics for). I realized this wasn’t for me. I was too creative and was feeling restricted by writing code.

That is about as far as I advanced in my quest to create interactive games. Back then, mini-games weren't as popular as they are now. Now, on a daily basis, people are playing Farmville, Mafia Wars, Angry Birds, Bejeweled, PhotoHunt and thousands of different games on Facebook, websites, tablet apps and cell phones.

I finally found my path through training in Mechanical Engineering (AutoCAD/Drawing) and degrees in Computer Graphics and Graphic Design.

I have continued designing, creating 3-D models, and animating, but I'd like to revisit this early passion. When I find time inbetween work, freelancing, blogging, and home life, you may one day see a game demo pop up, but in the meantime I'll be reading how other people are getting rich off the concept...

How to make money with online games
http://www.adobe.com/newsletters/edge/march2011/articles/article1/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment