Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Scenario

Scenario:
You create what you feel is the ideal logo, but the client has other thoughts. They end up falling in love with a piece of ClipArt, a novelty font, or a photo they found on the web. All of a sudden your efforts seem wasted.


Things to consider:
You are there for the client. You should have a good idea going into the job, whether it is something you want to undertake or not. They came to you, are going to pay you, etc...

Do your best to present your case by explaining your thought and design process. Stay cool; don't be on the defensive.

I can be stubborn, but I try to find a way to keep the client happy. I'll find a middle ground that doesn't make me ignore my standards, and gives them the satisfaction of giving me input. After all, they're the ones who will be using the logos every day.

Also, if you think some of your designs are weak, don't present them. When I was starting out, I made that mistake. In one particular case, I had some really good concepts and a few bad ones. I wanted to show the client how many ideas I came up with, so they could see how much work I put in. Mistake!

It was a little pretentious of me, and overwhelming for them. It also left me explaining why they shouldn't use my design. I didn't like it. I showed it to them. They picked it. I had to use that design for the next part of the process. I was to blame.

Repeat, Stay professional! Your image and attitude are a part of your brand, so it's important to carry yourself as such. Networking works both ways. People will recommend you, but people can dissuade against you too.

If things aren't going to work out after several tries, as a last resort, peacefully part ways in a professional manner. Plug your words in here... "After thinking about,  I've decided maybe another designer would be a better fit for this particular job... I want to make sure you are probably presented...  I'll assist with any transition of the files...  I appreciate all the time and opportunity... Thanks... Sorry... Etc... Etc.."

I write that hastily because hopefully it will never come to it, but you'll know what to say if it does.
-----
As far as ClipArt goes...
Explain to them ClipArt doesn't give them a strong identity. Thousands of people use the same art. Let them know you want to create a mark that is unique to their brand.
Novelty fonts...
First, not all novelty fonts are bad. My point is more along the lines of a client finding a poorly constructed, over-stylized font that is just wrong for their company. Font treatment is just as important to the overall design. It's not an afterthought--it's not something that can be thrown in.
Photos from the web...
I find small business owners failing to grab this concept a lot. I usually try to tell them the quality's not good enough or its copywrited because the truth is it just doesn't work as a logo. If they keep insisting, it's a good idea to try to use that photo as a starting point to created a stylized symbol that can act as their logo.

No comments:

Post a Comment